CD Projekt Red Acquires Indie Studio To Make A Game Based On A Pre-Existing IP

| |

By Billy Givens on October 24th, 2021


CD Projekt Red announced during an investors call Friday that it has acquired indie studio The Molasses Flood.

During the call, CD Projekt Red stated that it has already purchased 60% of The Molasses Flood, but that the remaining 40% of the studio will be taken over time. The studio will work alongside CD Projekt Red’s development unit, but it will not give up its autonomy.

The acquisition has taken place so that The Molasses Flood can work on a project based on a pre-existing CD Projekt Red property, though which IP the studio has chosen for their game hasn’t been announced. It’s safe to assume that it’s a game set within the ever-popular The Witcher franchise, but only time will tell if that’s truly the case.

The Molasses Flood took to Twitter with the exciting news, saying:

We get to build a completely new game in the universe of an existing CD Projekt IP, we get to hire a lot more folks, and we get to keep making games based on the same principles that have always guided us: making games with heart built on rich gameplay systems.

The Molasses Flood
Meanwhile, joint CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kiciński had nothing but good things to say about the Boston-based studio:

We’re always on the lookout for teams who make games with heart. The Molasses Flood share our passion for video game development, they’re experienced, quality-oriented, and have great technological insight. I’m convinced they will bring a lot of talent and determination to the Group.

Adam Kiciński

The Molasses Flood is best known for their work on beloved indie titles like Drake’s Hollow and The Flame and the Flood, but the studio is comprised of developers that have previously worked on large-scale projects in franchises like BioShock and Halo.

CD Projekt Red confirmed that more information regarding The Molasses Flood’s new game is in the pipeline, but no further information was shared during the call.

Billy will always claim he didn't intentionally get the platinum trophy in Snoopy's Grand Adventure, but he's lying.


Stardew Valley Creator’s Next Game is About a Haunted Chocolate Shop

Advance Wars Remaster Collection Delayed To Spring 2022